BRING YOUR MARCH
COPY OF MINUTES TO MAY MEETING
The location of all AIWA meetings is at 3928 Illinois St. San Diego, CA.
Many Nations in Recovery facility. Chet A. Hunt Community Center. AIWA
is welcome to utilize the facilities in a respectful manner. (It is two
blocks east of 30th St. and one-half block North of University Ave. on
the west side of the street.)
The members were
purified by: __Ivan Sam__
Social potluck from 1800-1900.
· Chicken, fruit and cake.
Call to order:
Ivan Sam___1907 PM.
*President- *Ivan Sam- present
*Vice President- *Henry Mendibles- present
*Secretary- *Richard DeCrane- present
*Treasurer- *George Hyde
*Master at Arms- *Gary Burrill- present
*Event Coordinator- *Ronnie Murphy
(M/S)President- Ivan Sam
· Still dealing with family loss.
· Working with Joaquin on Tax ID number issue more to report
at later time.
· April 11 Santa Ysabel 1st years anniversary.
· Tom G - Was not aware of an honorarium to be given to AIWA
at Grossmont. So, Tom pulled money from his own pocket to pay AIWA.
Voted on money, to donate back Grossmont AIS college fund.
· Women's Wellness/Powwow event went well.
DeCrane· Minutes out late, but posted on website, apologize for
not bringing hard copies of minutes.· Request motion for banquet:
date, time and place. Tabled. Waiting on Ronnie.
· Not present/ No report.
Master at Arms-
· Needs someone to take flags. Will be going off to school for
3 months. Ivan volunteered to take flags
.· Ivan has two flags poles
.· Found a place to buy flags supplies if we need to
.· Jerry found stands.
· Need Eagle feathers for staff.
· Not present/No report.
AIWA is color guard on May 10th and 11 Balbo Park Powwow. Henry will
be head gourd dancer.Camp Pendlton Powwow event May 15. More info to
- E-mail to Roy to post on website.
Tax ID issue:
- Joaquin- IHRC will be covering AIWA on a temp basis, we still need
to renew Non profit status.
Cap on funds:
Open for discussion:
-Henry - Honorarium or donations both terms are usable.
- Karin - we need guide lines. To use money wisely. Helping native Vet's
and helping native children.
- Henry - we need a process. We should Table voting till next meeting
because we need more info from older members who have better incite
on issue. -
Henry - we need bylaw to deal with goal issue. Ivan has new's bylaws.
Henry will make copies for those who need them. Table motion and seconded
If you need DD214:
- Roy- see this
- Miramar cemetery red tape issue resolved.
- American Legion has Indian on cover
- Karin will come up with design. Picture and medals. AIWA Banquet:
- Richard - Motion for a day, time and place. E-mail Ronnie on issue.
Native Vet Medal:
- Henry was not able to talk to Prez but was able to talk to vice and
reports that it is still in motion. No further action required for now.
- Imperial Beach powwow council is trying to contact Ronnie. They want
AIWA to be their powwow color gourd.
- Ivan will contact Balboa park powwow council.
- Youth Conference in Anaheim
- Language Conference April 15-17 (info:www.americanindiansource.com)
- Warner Springs Color Guard.
- Aurto - Thankful for speaking. May 1st Start of Peace and dignity
run. He read mission statement of run. 8 month run. South started April
1st 2008. Inform native communities. See Flyers. Looking for supporters.
- Ivan will be helping. July 23-25th along with The Red Warriors. Runner
will stop a Pala Rez then run to Chicano Park in San Diego. AIWA asked
to show support.
Round Robin discussion:
Ida Huhn- VA appointment. Gary is building a starwars chicken coup.
Gary Burrill- Heading off to school and is looking forward to it. This
may lead to a major job down the road.
Henry Mendibles- Drum group sang for Jane Goodall. April 12th Chicano
park event. Minute Men will be there. Looking for support. 20th April
Earth day Balboa park. 22th April SDSU Earth day event or gathering.
Richard DeCrane - Doing good. Working with Palomar College NASA club,
raising money to travel the Gathering Of Nations Powwow.
Karin - will always speak her mine even if she is only a associate member.
Ivan - Head back to AZ with Aurto. Family is doing better.
Larry - Some of us will come and some of us will go. Wise words!Aurto
- would like to become an associate member. Will carry blessings with
him on his run.Roy - Good to be back. Has been sharing Northern songs
with children in his culture class.Joaquin- Daughter got married. Still
has his grandchildren. SCAIR Program. He is now able to lookup Vet info
with written or sign permission.
adjourned*: __9:12 PM. M/S: ___ Ivan Sam__